With thirty-three years of experience working at the Center for Creative Leadership (CCL), Jean has made numerous contributions in the areas of research, publication, product development, and training. She was one of the first staff members to conduct a cross-cultural research project and to publish findings of this research for the practicing manager (A Look at Derailment Today: North America and Europe, CCL, 1996; A Cross-National Comparison of Effective Leadership and Teamwork, CCL, 1997). Jean’s cultural interests led to a role where she was responsible for translating, adapting, and validating CCL assessment instruments for use outside of the United States. In addition to her interests in international research, Jean has developed an expertise in 360-degree feedback. She is a co-author of the Center’s flagship 360-degree feedback instrument, Benchmarks® and more recently co-authored CCLs newest organizational assessment, The Leadership Gap Indicator®. Jean served as an instructor of CCLs Assessment Certification Workshop and Emerging Leaders Program.
Jean is a Senior Fellow and Director of Strategic Initiatives. In this role, she develops, oversees, and helps implement programs, projects, and processes that support Leadership Research and Analytics vision and short- and long-term plans.
M.A. in Sociology from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro
B.A. in Sociology from Elon University
Professional Affiliations and Certifications
- Academy of Management
- Affiliate member of the Society for Industrial and Organizational
- Data Governance Professionals Organization
- Data Governance Institute
- International Leadership Association (ILA)
- Polarity Partnerships, The Polarity Approach for Continuity and Transformation (certified since, 2013)
- The Reina Leadership Trust Scale (certified since, 2008)
- Workplace Big 5 Certification (certified since, 2008)
- Effective On-line Facilitation, Fielding Graduate Institute (certified since, 2003)
- Benchmarks, Skillscope, Prospector, 360 By Design™, Executive Dimensions for individual assessment for development, Keys™, and Leadership Gap Indicator™ for organizational assessment, Center for Creative Leadership (certified since, 1999).
- Systematic Multi-Level Observation of Groups (SYMLOGÒ) for individual and team-work assessment (certified since 1990)
Jean has published more than 100 pieces on leadership, assessment, and feedback — in the form of peer-reviewed articles, popular-press articles, book chapters, and books. Jean has also presented over 70 papers at professional conferences such as the Academy of Management and the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychologists.
Honors, Awards, Grants
- Awarded SHRM Foundation Grant, principle investigator, 137,650 USD, 2014-2016.
- Special Recognition Award by the Healthcare Businesswomen’s Association (HBA) Annual Conference Content Committee, 2015.
- The award acknowledges the importance of the research to the healthcare industry; the practical, actionable information provided; the uniqueness/originality of the display; and overall value to the conference.
- Named Senior Fellow at The Center for Creative Leadership, 2007.
- Awarded Singapore Economic Development Board research fund, principle investigator, 143,000 USD, 2006.
- Awarded the Best Symposium in the Management Education and Development
- Division, Academy of Management, 2002.
Areas of Expertise
Data Governance, Development, Derailment, Emotional Intelligence, Feedback, Polarities, Virtual Teams, Women’s Leadership, Goal Setting, The Leadership/Talent Gap, Political Skill, 360-Degree feedback